Wednesday 20 July 2016

Zero effort cleaning

Many years ago I inherited my mother's family piano from my uncle. I believe it's been in the family for over 100 years. All four of my children play it (as indeed does Mr D), but my youngest plays it the most. She has taught herself how to play mostly from the internet and can rattle off all sorts from Rachmaninov to Adele songs. I absolutely love to hear it being played.
After we had had it shipped over from the Isle of Wight, my uncle found the original brass candle sconces wrapped in newspaper in his loft. They were filthy, but because they are a bit fiddly, I decided that polishing with Brasso was not going to work.
Instead I filled a large plastic tub with 2 litres of the cheapest coke I could buy. I submerged the sconces for a few hours. They came out sparkling and shiny and just needed rinsing and a quick buff with a soft cloth. I then poured the coke down the toilet to give it a good clean too!
They stayed clean for quite some time, but in honour of the move, I have repeated the process to get them smartened up for their new spot in the 'music room'!

Separated into their components

Soaked for a few hours

Rinsed and buffed 

This is how they look on the piano. I took it back off as I don't want them damaged in transit, but I. thought I'd show you how lovely they look.

9 comments:

  1. If coke does this to metal, goodness knows what it does to our innards!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely item to have in your home. Most of the time I am for get rid of lots of things. Any musical instruments that are actually played need to stay. I cant wait for a picture of it in its new room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely item to have in your home. Most of the time I am for get rid of lots of things. Any musical instruments that are actually played need to stay. I cant wait for a picture of it in its new room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea using the coke and wonderful that the piano is still being played.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful thing to have and even better that your family can play. Amazing what a bit of coke can do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful. The coke did an amazing job.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. they look lovely. That is also the reason I never drink coke.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coke is so versitile and effortless. I can't lie I do enjoy an ice cold glass of diet pepsi in the summer. I don't touch it any other time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. .... and this is why I don't drink Coke ..... or any other flavoured fizzy drink!!

    The piano looks lovely and they just set it off perfectly.

    ReplyDelete