Wednesday 28 January 2015

Carrot and pecan muffins

My GF vegan bake this week was Carrot and Pecan Muffins:

225g brown sugar (I used soft)
175ml rapeseed oil (I guess sunflower would do just as well)
225g GF self raising flour
1/2 tsp GF baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthan gum (if you were using non GF flour, you wouldn't need this)
1/2 tsp mixed spice
350g carrots, grated
200g pecan nuts, chopped (I didn't have enough so put half that amount in, which was absolutely fine)

TOPPING:-
85g pecan nuts chopped (again I only used 50g)
40g soft brown sugar
1/2tsp mixed spice

Preheat oven to 180c and line a muffin tray with 12 cases.
Mix topping together in a small bowl and leave to one side.
Beat the sugar and oil together in a large bowl with a wooden spoon.
Add flour, baking powder and xanthan gum (if using!) and mixed spice and mix.
Add grated carrots and chopped pecans and  stir until well combined. (I found my mixture was a bit stuff so thinned it out with a little almond milk).
Spoon equally into the muffin cases and sprinkle over the topping.
Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 mins (mine needed the full half hour). Test with a skewer.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool, if you can wait that long!!

There are only 4 in the photo because I blinked and the other 8 had been devoured!! They are moist, subtly spiced and very, very moreish! They would probably make a very nice breakfast on the go. 






2 comments:

  1. They look very nice, I love pecans, I see you use the silicone cake cases, I have 6 but I must get some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound delicious I will be having a go at those!

    ReplyDelete