Thursday 16 April 2015

My kind of food

I picked up a spring copy of the Waitrose recipe booklet the other day. There are always lovely recipes in there, all seasonal and a huge majority of them are vegetarian allowing me to tweak them to fit with our dietary requirements. I have cooked many of their recipes and they have all been tasty, easy and successful. They can all be found on their website - waitrose.com

This month I have made:-
Cauliflower and Sun-dried tomato Pilaf. I used normal tomato purée and a pack of mixed rice (spelt isn't gluten free). It wouldn't have been quite enough to serve all six of us, so I did some balti potatoes to go alongside it. Yum - you have to love curried potatoes!!

On Tuesday night, I made the Falafel hash with Baba Ganoush dip. The dip was particularly lovely and made a nice change from hoummous. I served it with pittas for us and GF flatbreads for my eldest daughter. We also happened to serve it with bubbles as we were celebrating my eldest daughter getting in to study graduate entry medicine, so not frugal, but some things need to be celebrated!!
I forgot to take a photo in the excitement of the moment but she and I had the leftovers served on a gram flour 'omelette' for a very nice lunch the following day.



Last night we ate outside for the first time this year. I cooked the Vegetable Thali. I made my own Tarka Dahl rather than buying pre-made and made the raita with soy yoghurt. I obviously didn't use Jersey royal potatoes either (way too expensive to curry!!). There was plenty for all six of us and then enough for three lunches, so not a bad price per head!


Vegetable thali  

Tarka Dahl 

Soy raita and red onion and tomato salad

I know everyone complains about Waitrose being pricey, but if you shop carefully, bargains can be had just like in any other supermarket, the service is excellent and I receive a lot of money off vouchers across the year, which can come in very handy. Besides, I loathe shopping in Tesco and Sainsburys is too far away to make it economical.

7 comments:

  1. Your food looks nice, we love eating outside, I have had some good bargains in Waitrose, like you say you just have to shop carefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Sunday afternoons often see a number of bargains put out.

      Delete
  2. Looks really delicious, I love the sound of falafel hash. I agree with you about Waitrose, I find it easier to stick to my budget there (or at Booths where we usually shop) in part because my head isn't turned by clothes, electricals, dvds and everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hash was really easy and the recipe simon their website now. I think we added some extra ground cumin and coriander.
      My whole shopping experiencet at Waitrose is satisfying. I get what I need, I'm in and out quickly and the service is always excellent and friendly. I don't much like shopping but as it's necessary, I prefer to do it somewhere nice!

      Delete
  3. Waitrose Essentials range is very good value and they also have some good offers on other stuff too. I don't get everything from there but I do go in every week and pick up a few bits & bobs. I believe they've just been given the leaping bunny logo (cruelty free) too for their own label beauty and cleaning products. (Mrs LH) P.S. Yummy looking food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think they try hard to stick to cruelty free, seasonal. Fair Trade type standards. I have also found they respond well to feedback and suggestions.
      I do like to cook!!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, that food looks good. Congrats to your daughter! I will look on their website for recipes, we don't have a Waitrose here yet.

    ReplyDelete