Wednesday 10 December 2014

Everyone has a story

I was chatting with a new friend today and as we were discussing some of the people we knew, I was reminded about how incredibly different we all are - same species, but the most amazing variety within that!
Many many years ago, I watched an Oprah episode (don't judge me!). She was interviewing some chap about his travels around America. Every place he had stopped in, he had gone into a public phone box and randomly selected someone to phone up from the phone book (yes it was THAT long ago). Obviously some people had refused to talk to him, but others had happily told him their life stories, which he had then recorded in a book. I guess the point was that everybody has a story to tell. It's always worth taking time out to listen to people - more often than not, the stories they have to share are surprising and fascinating and often challenge your perceptions and beliefs, which can only be a good thing.


I've been lucky over the years to have met a huge number of wonderful people, from many different cultures and walks of life and I hope that through my volunteering, I will continue to broaden my horizons and challenge my attitudes through the new people I meet.
Some days I have felt it would be easier to shut the front door and keep myself to myself, but ultimately my life is enriched by being 'out there', so I will continue to venture out into the big wide world!

No comments:

Post a Comment