Thursday 4 December 2014

Roasted vegetable salad

I first saw this on a Nigel Slater show, where he was in someone's garden and cooked up a few freshly dug root veg, tossed them in with some leaves and it looked amazing! I love his way of cooking - no weird, impossible-to-find ingredients and letting the individual components of the recipe talk for themselves.
In our gluten free, vegan home (well most of the time anyway!) it's really important I know what I am putting on the table, so Nigel's approach appeals to me.
For the salad you will need root veg - we use a combination of carrots, potatoes, parsnips and sweet potato. I guess you could also use turnip, swede or celeriac. They are then chopped into similar size pieces. Personally I don't peel the potatoes, nor would I peel the carrots if they were fresh enough.


I then rub in olive oil and tonight I added Harissa, but it could equally be garlic, rosemary, honey or maple syrup. They are then popped into the oven at 180 to begin with, then I generally whack the heat up to 200 nearer the end. They take about 45 mins on the whole, lifting and stirring them occasionally.


I like to serve the salad on a platter. Last Christmas, my lovely children bought me the round platter below, which I often use.


The finished salad is served on a bed of mixed salad leaves (I like plenty of rocket and/or watercress) 
with a drizzle of dressing. This evening's dressing was a mixture of my own French dressing, 
mixed with a very finely chopped clove of garlic, a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice and soy yoghurt. Obviously if you aren't vegan, you could use crème fraîche. We served it with bread, but it really doesn't need it! Very tasty, low fat, at least three of your 5 a day, gluten free, vegan, cheap.....what more could one ask?!  X 

The finished article! 


1 comment:

  1. The Roasted Veg salad is amazing, eapecially the parsnips!

    ReplyDelete