Monday 8 June 2015

Changes ahead.

I'm feeling a little sad today. Mum is still with us but is fading fast and we are near the end now. I've spent a lot of time today reflecting on how my life is about to change over the next few months. Daughter number two will be leaving for America at the end of July; daughter number one will be moving to Derby in August to begin her graduate medicine degree and my mother will no longer be with us very shortly. With two children away from home, the house is going to be much quieter and we will be back to 'man to man marking'!
It's been almost a full academic year since I stopped working at school - where on earth has that school year gone?
I think we have another year here and then I hope to move house and area and start our new life path.
Change can be good, but also a little unsettling until you acclimatise.

However, I have finally finished the 'scarf'! It's more of a collar scarf as you can see, but it's cosy. I finished it off with an old leather button from my Mum and Dad's button tin. I'm thinking I might try larger needles next time and aim towards a knitted throw .......


12 comments:

  1. I feel for you, waiting for a loved one's end when they are fading away is difficult, sad and unsettling. And with your two daughters soon to move away it must make you feel even stranger. All I can suggest is that you keep busy - knitting a throw will help. I find crocheting throws very therapeutic and relaxing. Your scarf looks lovely. Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think you are fully aware of how it feels!! Some tough times all round x

      Delete
  2. Giving yourself time to reflect on the changes is good, also give yourself time for adjusting to the loss as well, I hope it all goes smoothly for you sending you a vitual {{{{{ hug }}}}} facing up to what is happening is a lot better than pushing it to the back of your mind, Makes some plans for some me time treats you deserve them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the hug and your best wishes. Spending time in my garden always help me feel grounded. X

      Delete
  3. A difficult time for you. I'm so pleased that you are able to think about how your mum is doing and not just pretending it isn't happening.Are you an only one?
    Look after yourself.
    is your daughter at the Derby Royal ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a brother, who also lives miles away from both Mum and myself which is a shame, but we have had a lot more contact during all of this which is lovely.
      Yes, she did her first degree at Nottingham and now this one is based at the hospital in Derby. Her aunt works there too!

      Delete
  4. Such a trying time and I so understand.
    I was there when my Mum died but not enough time before.
    You can't make everything right, just try your best.
    You take care is all I can say.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is such a tough decision! I know I won't be there when she dies - it's too far away, but she is being well cared for and won't be alone. I think I've made my peace with having said goodbye, but, as you say, you just have to try your best in a difficult situation! Thank you for your kind thoughts :)

      Delete
  5. So much change up ahead and such a sad time to be going through now, you need that cosy scarf and lots of friendly hugs. Take time to sit in the sun and just 'be', you have so much ahead of you that you need to recharge your batteries while you can. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm trying to find a balance between keeping busy so I dwell less on sad thoughts, but also not overdoing things! As you say, there will be lots to organise in the coming weeks and months so it will get busier! :)

      Delete
  6. That is a very cosy looking scarf. Much love to you at this difficult time. It sounds like there are many changes ahead for you. Take plenty of time to allow yourself to adjust. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind thoughts. Everyone has been so kind and supportive x

      Delete