Tuesday 9 June 2015

Gooseberry crumble cake

You may remember I brought lots of frozen fruit and veg home from Mum's deepfreeze. I have memories of having to pick the gooseberries - an unpleasant and painful job and then being told to top and tail them too, which I hated. I don't even particularly like gooseberries,
There are multiple bags of gooseberries in there and I will probably make jam from most of them, but I remember eating this crumble cake in Germany at 4pm ' Kaffe und Kuchen'time. It was delicious - moist and not too sweet.

I'm able to use normal flour as my eldest is on holiday in Croatia this week, but I imagine this kind of cake would work equally well with GF flour.




FOR THE CAKE
90g caster sugar
90g soft brown sugar
180g butter
2 eggs
1tsp vanilla essence
80g ground almonds
150g plain flour

300g gooseberries (I used frozen and defrosted)

FOR THE CRUMBLE TOPPING
80g butter
100g plain flour
2 tbsp caster sugar

Turn the oven to 180 c and prepare a loose bottom cake tin. I used a 9 inch round tin.
Cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, add the eggs gradually with the vanilla.
Beat until well combined. Fold in the ground almonds and flour. Spread the mixture across the bottom of the prepared tin and smooth the surface. Scatter over the gooseberries evenly. Rub the butter into the flour until crumbly, then add the sugar. You can add a few drops of water at this age so that some of the crumbs clump together. Then sprinkle this evenly over the gooseberries. Cook in the centre of the oven for about 50 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
Lovely served warm with cream or custard.

This can also be made with apricots and almond essence or Apple chunks and cinnamon.

I've had a very productive day, getting the whole house cleaned, including a deep clean of another bedroom. Four loads of washing done and dried on the line, ironing basket emptied and a cake made. I will be happy to relax in front of the television this evening. :)

5 comments:

  1. Goodness, what a busy day, enjoy a restful evening.
    I shall start picking gooseberries soon - there were over 200lb last year to sell and I topped and tailed about 12lb for the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heavens! I'm very glad I'm not picking all of those then! That's a fantastic crop :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. The cake sounds delicious, by coincidence I had a 'crumbly' post as well today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just had a look - may have to try that with some of the gooseberries or perhaps some plums??? X

      Delete