I decided to start on one of the bedrooms which isn't presently in use. Daughter number two who is in America, has the front double bedroom. Originally it was the main bedroom, but when we built the extension about 16 years ago, we extended the second double bedroom at the back, so that became ours.
I bought a valance to cover the underbed storage items, but her bed has legs and a slat which runs head to toe, so I had to cut the valance three times to hang around the 'obstacles'. I thought I'd just quickly run up the seams on my machine, but there is obviously an issue with the bobbin and it kept jamming, so I gave up and hand sewed them.
I then decided it would be a good idea to remove the shelves from the alcove. They weren't great shelves as I'd made them myself, BUT of course, when I started to take them off, half the wall came with them! I spent the afternoon filling the holes and repainting. It's not perfect, but I hunted round for a large picture and once hung, it covers most of the lumps and bumps!
One bedroom down - only another four to go :(