Saturday 2 May 2015

Drains


For some reason, the job of unblocking drains seems to fall to me! I think it started because the outside drain from the bathroom is designed in such a ridiculous way that you need a small hand to reach in and unblock it of the build up of hair and soap suds. I don't mind, except for the fact that I'm always left with a nasty bruise across my wrist which seems to hurt for weeks. I've tried thinking about some kind of tool and even tried fashioning one out of a wire coat hanger, but I'm afraid it needs a human hand and a small one at that!
We had issues with the kitchen drain too last year (for the first time in 20 years) and I had to borrow rods from a friend to clear it. I can still picture the fat from chorizo floating passed me on its way off to the main drain!!
A few years ago there was a flash flood which threatened to come into the house and unfortunately Mr D was away (on the golf course!!) so I had to don my wellies and deal with it. The problem was the main drain kept blocking with fallen leaves and wood chip being washed along with the flood water, so I had to don rubber gloves, grab a bucket and keep grabbing handfuls of detritus out of the drain to stop the water getting in under the house. I was successful and Mr D was very pleased with my efforts when he came home!! The same friend who lent me his rods, offered to lend me his waders, but I suspect his motifs were amusement at the sight of me in waders rather than helping!! 
Yesterday I decided to do a blitz on the inside drains as several of them were slow to drain. In the past, I would have poured some unspeakably hideous chemical down there and left it to do its nasty work. No longer! I now use borax - well actually borax substitute as you can no longer buy borax in this country. I sprinkled about half a cup down each drain and left for a couple of hours before washing it down with plenty of boiling hot water. One stubborn drain needed a little extra help with a plunger, but I now have free flowing drains again and I have avoided the truly nasty chemicals. 
I know borax isn't totally 'innocent' but it's certainly much better than something which has what looks like a skull and crossbones on the side of its packaging! Borax doesn't smell either which is another bonus. 

I even cleared the drains out at my Mum's house! Do not get the wrong idea though - I am not about to launch a new career path, but it's another job I have learnt to do for myself!! good job I'm not squeamish eh?! 

Well, never let it be said that my blog is anything other than eclectic! Have a wonderful long weekend everyone xx 

20 comments:

  1. Many years ago, when I was at college, we were taught to unblock a drain. This was part of the course as we were expected to be able to do any task, however unpleasant. They held no terrors for me after growing up on a holding, once you have washed a muck spreader down you can clean anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can deal with excrement, but put me near sick and I'm done for!! I imagine there's plenty of excrement on a muck spreader!

      Delete
  2. I don't like dealing with drains but you have reminded me to give mine a preventative clean. I will give your method a try. Thank you for the reminder. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clearing blocked drains from toilets to the septic tank is definitely HIS job, any other drains is my job, plunger, bicarb, vinegar and boiling water is what I try first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not dealt with a septic tank yet as we have mains drains, but I'd do remember my Dad having to do some unblocking of their septic tank. I did wonder about the bicarbonate, but I didn't have much left.

      Delete
  5. I find salt gives my sink drain a clear through when it is getting sluggish. Haven't tried borax, but find value salt in the supermarket is cheap enough. Well done you - I've had to get the draining rods out now and again as whoever laid our sewage pipes to the septic tank didn't get them terribly level and there is a dip in one that comes across the garden which very occasionally seems to collect an overload of loo roll! Not my favourite job but needs must sometimes x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use Boiling hot water down the drain. then vinegar, and baking soda cover and let stand for about 30 minutes.
    Pour more boiling water down the drain. I try to do this a few times a year to keep the drains clear.
    I also have a funny looking metal thing with teeth on it that you push down the drain and pull up all sorts of gross stuff. Yuck.
    Detest drain cleaners.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I may add it to the diary along with de scaling dishwasher and washing machine etc so I do it more regularly.

      Delete
  7. My friend was having problems with her toilet and was having to fill buckets of water to flush it. When she phoned the plumber, his wife answered the phone and asked my friend how she was coping. My friend answered that they were having to use a bucket. The plumber's wife obviously thought that they were using the bucket as a loo and sent the plumber round immediately!

    I've actually taken apart all the waste pipework under the kitchen sink at one stage to find the blockage, then put it all back together again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems all us bloggers are made of strong stuff when it comes to drains!!

      Delete
  8. Drains are my job too. You can buy real borax off eBay. I got some last year. Like your blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't tried eBay - thanks for the tip. Glad you like the blog too x

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It must be a relief that you managed to spot and deal the problem with that drain, before it escalated. This is crucial because clogged drains, when neglected, can lead to internal flooding and further damage. So, how's it been? I hope everything’s great since then. Have a great day!

    Steve Beliveau @ Firstclass Building Inspections

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you could start a business of unblocking drains! You definitely can't be squeamish for a job like that. I've been having the hardest time with my apartment's bathroom sink. We've tried everything, including Drano, but it's still slow. I have a small hand, but there's no way I could get it down that little hole. I guess I'll have to think of something else before it gets any worse. http://buzzplumbing.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  12. While it’s not something that one would enjoy doing around the house, at least you’re able to tough up and do it, even if no one else wants to. Anyway, I find that a good dose of vinegar and some hot water can also help clear out the drain. If you’re afraid that your drain will smell like vinegar for a long time, don’t be. Just make sure to let the water flow through it a few times, to make sure that all the vinegar residue is washed away afterwards. Hope that helps!

    Karla Foster @ Southwest Houston Plumbing

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have found that I can keep my drains clear with baking soda and hot water. Every week or two, I sprinkle some baking soda into the drain. I then run very hot water down the drain. If there appears to be slow drainage, I will use a cup of vinegar before using the hot water. My drains run all clear and it is very simple.

    Darryl Housand @ Haaker

    ReplyDelete