Thursday 14 May 2015

Still trundling

Thank you to all those of you who commented on yesterday's post. I suffer from overthinking things sometimes, so I really appreciated your positive encouragement!
I did get some bits done yesterday - two loads of washing dried on the line, the roof of the coop painted with some bitumen paint I had in the shed, my book finished and a nice stroll along the canal with a friend and two of her boys. I also cooked a rather nice tea (if I say so myself!) - of course it was the recipe which was nice rather than my specific cooking of it!!

Potato, pea and parsnip curry from Waitrose recipes. It has a bit of a kick to it, but it's VERY tasty. I would certainly recommend it :)


The paint on the roof of the coop had begun to chip, so I sanded it down and repainted with some gloopy bitumen paint. It's like painting with treacle!

However, it gives a waterproof, glossy finish and looks much smarter.

This was the craft project I mentioned a few days ago. I made this for my sister's Birthday. 
 The next one I make will have to use coloured buttons as I'm running out of white ones now, unless I cut off all of Mr D's shirt buttons!! 

Curry night last Friday. I had been going to make pakoras, but decided to make onion bhajis instead. It's exactly the same really except there are no peas or sweetcorn in them!! The Aloo Gobi was good too. I use gram (chickpea) flour for the bhajis and they are very easy to make. 


Gosh there seem to be a lot of foods pictures today! These are Saturday night's sweetcorn and chick pea burgers, served with a smoky tomato relish and home made chips. The burgers and relish were a Tesco recipe. I think you can google it, but if not let me know and I'll post it. It made 10 burgers, so my eldest and I had the others for lunch on the Monday with some salad. They are such a doddle to make, especially if you use a food processor and they
freeze really well. I imagine they would cook well on the barbecue too, although I've not tried it. 

Today, I'm off to do the food shop,then out to visit a friend for a cuppa and our weekly catch up. I may do the ironing and I need to finish the album for my Mum as Mr D and I are going down there this weekend. I wrote to all my Mums friends having trawled through her address book (which was totally chaotic) to let them know what had happened to her in case they were worried at not hearing from her. At Christmas, I know she had got completely confused about who to write cards to and had sent several to people who had died! So I had typed up a letter and popped it in the post to about a dozen of her closest friends. I have been very moved by the fact that I have had two phone calls, an email and three letters back from them. People are lovely, aren't they? 

Have a lovely day everyone and thank you once again for your support and encouragement :) 







10 comments:

  1. All your food looks so colourful.....I think how a plate of food looks is just as important as how it tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Funny, I was only thinking this morning how everything seems to be orange!! I guess we eat a lot of squash, sweet potato and curry spice! Maybe in the summer months, we'll get more green coming in!

      Delete
  2. I am experimenting with different combinations for burgers, I do have a lot of meat in the freezer but am so enjoying trying out vegetarian recipes it may well be in there for ages. I am going to look for that recipe. I usually serve mine on a mound of salady things and a drizzle of balsamic. Last night I had Lentil Dahl from the freezer with spring greens and broccoli, so tasty and very filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough we are having dahl tonight! I do love dahl :)

      Delete
  3. I'd love the recipe for sweetcorn and chickpea burgers, please. When my mum went into a home because of dementia, I had to write to people for her. Since then, I have had lovely conversations with the daughter of mum's first employer who knew mum well, several older cousins, my dad's great uncle who has since died and several old friends of my parents. A very enriching exprience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll pop a link to it in tomorrow's post. Yes, it has been lovely getting a glimpse into Mums past. Looks like she's always been a handful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way you have the coops set up.
    Giving the chicken plenty of wandering around room.
    You yard is very charming.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'm aiming for a natural look! I don't ever use chemicals on the plants though, so I'm fighting a battle with the slugs at the moment!! Nasty creatures :(

      Delete
  6. All your food photos look great, they are certainly inspiring me to try more vegetarian recipes. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great - my daughters will be very pleased to hear that!!

      Delete