Friday 8 May 2015

Food shopping again!

It only seems like yesterday that I did the last food shop but of course it isn't!

I spent £98.97 this week, a whole £1.03 under budget! As my daughter and I were unpacking the shopping, I noticed that the cupboards are very well stocked, so I'll need to make a concerted effort to eat up some of our stores next week to ensure there is no wastage.
I did buy enough toilet rolls for the street in this shop too!!

On the menu this week:

  • Indian night tonight, which is actually the pakoras and sides from last week's menu, boosted with aloo gobi because I have a cauliflower left over and because I absolutely LOVE it!! 
  • Chickpea and sweetcorn burgers with smoky tomato sauce and home made chips
  • Vegetarian cottage pies, peas and sweetcorn and Apple crumble with vegan ice cream
  • Mexican bean soup
  • Mushroom and lentil tagine with rice
  • Potato, parsnip and pea curry with rice
  • Spiced lentil and coconut Dahl with chapatis
  • Vegetable risotto 
We had sweet potato fritters and smoky beans last night from eatingwell.com. There were only four of us eating and they were voted a great success. 

As you can see I served it with a salad, using up all the remnants of fresh veg from the fridge. You might be forgiven for thinking that might not make the basis of a good salad, but it was actually exactly right. Just goes to show sometimes, thrown together recipes are the best! 

8 comments:

  1. You can never have too much food or toilet rolls in the house with teens!! I haven't made aloo gobi before. We usually make saag aloo, but I love cauliflower with a curry - it works really well. Tonight I am having a lazy cook's night - oven chips, eggs and baked beans with home made bread. It's been bitterly cold up here in the north, like winter again with night frosts and biting winds, so hot food still preferable to salads at the moment x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like a tea like that I have to say and I can imagine it going down very well if you're all cold up there! Exciting time in Scitland yesterday?! :)

      Delete
  2. I am having a store cupboard dinner tonight, using up some of the dehydrated stores, your weekly menu looks great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fritters look delicious. I will have a look at the website. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were actually very nice. Crunchy on the outside from the polenta. There were quite a few other recipes on there I might try too. X

      Delete
  4. Your menu for the week sounds delicious. I keep saying that I'm going to plan my meals for the entire week, but I never do. Have a lovely week... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said the magic words, sweet potatoes and cauliflower. I love them

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete