Thursday 9 July 2015

Cheap as chips

If I say so myself, I was very pleased with the frugality of last night's tea. I hadn't planned to have this tea, but when it came to it, I really fancied curry.
We had garlic and cumin roasted new potatoes; Gujarati style cabbage, carrot and coriander; tomato and chick pea curry and dry roasted spiced cauliflower. I didn't use any recipes, just a little of this and a little of that. I am fortunate to have a good stock of spices to dip into.



I have done a reasonably detailed break down of costs and calculated that the entire meal cost a mere 70p per head for the six of us. Of course if I had used my own potatoes, garlic and onions and the coriander hadn't gone to seed, it would have been even cheaper, but nevertheless I was pleased with the outcome.

The only negative? It's all the same colour! However, it was very tasty, low fat and of course high in fibre! It is also naturally vegan and gluten free.

5 comments:

  1. It looks great to me. My mother was Indian and she used to make cauliflower into lots of different dishes which I loved. I have tried a couple but can't seem to replicate the way she did it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Indian food and I love cauliflower so I would have enjoyed your mothers cooking! I do particularly like roasted cauliflower. I sprinkled it with ground cumin and coriander and a little oil before popping in a high oven until brown. I also like aloo gobi - the potato and cauliflower curry :)

      Delete
  2. ummmmmmm Aloo Gobi yummy.
    Love this impromptu dinner. I use cabbage and cauliflower in lots of dishes.
    Especially cauliflower as a rice substitute.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I have space, I will certainly try growing some cauliflower. I really like it. Mind you I've not tried it as a rice substitute yet. I also need to try using it to make a pizza base.

      Delete
  3. That looks lovely,and I could just eat that right now!! If I'm in danger of serving up a meal that is all the same colour I just cut a couple of sprigs of parsley or chop up a handful of chives and sprinkle them over at the last minute, a little bit of green always does the trick :-)

    ReplyDelete