Friday 11 September 2015

Another lovely day

Firstly, thank you so much for all your tips and sympathy after yesterday's post about my plantar fasciitis. I will study them and adopt as many as it needs. I stretched my foot loads before getting out of bed this morning and it was easier. Hopefully it will go away without me needing injections.

The weather is gorgeous again, so Jet and I went for another lovely walk along the Basigstoke canal. It was a very pleasant walk indeed - the stretch of canal near to us is very pretty. I saw a Kingfisher, a heron and a pair of yellow wagtails along with the more usual mallards and moorhens. Jet paddled again but manage the walk without a repeat of yesterday's 'funny half hour'!

I think I may have voyeuristic tendencies - not in an inappropriate way of course, but I absolutely LOVE gazing into people's back gardens (there are some lovely houses which back onto the canal) and imagining who lives there. It must be very nice to have such a tranquil backdrop to their gardens.

Not my photos I'm afraid. I didn't have my camera with me, but doubt if I could have achieved quite these shots!




I've managed some more in the garden this morning. It's getting there, but I'm hoping to persuade Mr D to assist me this weekend so we can finish off the main pruning. After that I should be able to maintain the rest of the garden work as the gardening  year drawers to a close.

I've dug up the squash plants as they  were all but spent, so I have a good view of my lovely ladies again! 

It's safe to walk down the garden path again. 

I made nine jars of plum jam yesterday and today I've made six jars of lemon marmalade. I have to confess to using a can of Pre prepared lemons. I've used both the lemon and orange ones before and they make very nice marmelades. I will add some Cointreau to the Orange one. Last year I added cognac and it was a great success :) 


My first ever cucumber! There are two that size on the plant. I had to replant them twice due to slug attacks. I finally put them in an old chicken pellet manure tub which seems to be the way to go next year. I've given them an old bit of trellis to grow up. 

7 comments:

  1. Lucky you I have never seen a KingFisher, I confess I love the pre prepared Lemon Marmalade, I do make jam from scratch though, have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my jams are made from fruit picked by me, but the thought of preparing all those lemons or oranges, doesn't appeal much! It feels home made either way.
      I think I'd only seen a flash of blue before, but this time he perched on a branch across the canal for a while. So incredibly beautiful!

      Delete
  2. I've seen a flash of a Kingfisher and just about caught a glimpse of one fishing before it flew off! I also use those prepared tins of marmalade concentrate. I use to do it all from scratch but can't be bothered. I hate shop bought marmalade as it is way too sweet for us. I add, Brandy, Whisky or Ginger to our orange one but have use Cointreau before. All are lovely. Oh, so is Grand Marnier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using Cointreau because I have it and the flavour will match up very nicely as would Grand Marnier. My mouth is watering already!

      Delete
  3. Lucky you seeing such beautiful birds. Our neighbours dogs keep birds out of our garden because they can see in and bark. We are having a fence in a few weeks time. I'l miss the dogs as they are beautiful but I may be able to attract birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing birds in their natural habitat is so wonderful. Hopefully you will get lots of feathered visitors with your new fence :)

      Delete
  4. We are lucky where we live as we get to see quite a few kingfishers by the river. Your jams look lovely all in a row like that. I've just finished the last of our raspberry jam. Homemade is the best isn't it? X

    ReplyDelete