Tuesday 22 September 2015

Smokey potato crumble

Firstly, I'd like to say a heartfelt thank you to all of you who took the time to read yesterday's post and to leave such kind comments. It's a wonderful thing that you can reach out and receive such kindness. Reading all your comments was like getting lots of hugs, so thank you :) Perhaps it's moments like this that reassure us bloggers that there is more good than bad in blog land? 

..and now for something completely different. Well, why wouldn't I turn to comfort food in difficult times?!!! 


This is a simple, comforting recipe which I first made many years ago for my parents. My Dad in particular loved it as he always loved vegetarian food.We haven't had it for a while so I thought I'd give it an airing!

I made this to serve six.

About 5 medium potatoes washed and chopped into large cubes
About 5 carrots washed and sliced
3 sticks of celery washed and finely sliced
2 leeks, washed and sliced
1 green pepper chopped
40g butter
450ml milk
75g smoked cheddar, grated
50g fresh breadcrumbs

Cook the potatoes and carrots in a saucepan until tender. Cook the leek, celery and pepper in butter in a large frying pan. Once soft, add the flour to the pan, stir well. Gradually add the milk to make a sauce. Cook for about 2 minutes until thickened slightly. Stir in the cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Mix this with the drained potatoes and carrots and tip into a casserole dish. Top with the breadcrumbs. Cook in the oven at 180c for about 45 mins.
I served mine with a large green salad and some bean salad.



It could be made GF with the correct flour and breadcrumbs and if you wanted to make it vegan, use soy milk and nutritional yeast or vegan cheese in place of the smoked cheddar - obviously it would lose it's smokiness unless you use smoked vegan cheese if such a thing exists!

14 comments:

  1. How about some smoked paprika, it is one of my favourite spices. I have used bottled smoke but it is very pricey. This looks really yummy, now I know what's for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that would be a nice addition. It really is a very nice recipe! Hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  2. It looks scrummy. I enjoy enjoy a vegetarian meal and I could put a chop in the oven while it's cooking for hubby. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would go well with the chop too actually as a side dish and you could have it with salad?

      Delete
  3. Having made weight watchers macaroni cheese, it also works well leaving the sauce white and mixing the cheese in with the breadcrumbs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if you use a strong flavoured cheese, you can get away with using a lot less. I did slimming world myself, but they have similar tricks to lessen the calorie content.

      Delete
  4. That looks delicious, just what I need. Think I'm coming down with something, could you pop down with a plateful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather. I'd be happy to cook you some, but it may get a bit cold after a 4hr journey from Surrey :(

      Delete
  5. That looks lovely! Have you tried the French dish Tartiflette? It's usually made with lardons/bacon but you could easily miss this out. It's really delicious and is similar to what you've made x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, I love tartiflette!! Mind you, I love lots of French food having been lucky enough to live there for a year. :)

      Delete
  6. It looks delicious! As a plant based (I.e. Vegan) eater I was already thinking about the changes you mentioned and I wonder if a few drops of liquid smoke would add that smoky taste? I wonder if you have that product in the UK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My eldest daughter is vegan and coeliac, so I'm always thinking about possible adaptations. She's not at home at the moment so we can eat gluten, but remain predominantly vegetarian. We do have the liquid smoke here - it's pricey, but a little goes a long way. It would certainly work in this recipe to add smokiness and nutritional yeast to add the 'cheesy' savouriness.

      Delete
  7. I have been out of the loop with my taking off of the blogging world for a month
    after my Square Dog Watson death.
    So sorry to read your last blog and hope all is better for you.
    What a wonderful dish. I must try it when our weather get cooler.
    Turning on the oven or even cooking over the stove right now is not advised.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear about your dog. It's so upsetting to lose such a beloved companion.
      Weird to think that your weather is too hot to turn in the stove, just as ours is cooling down heading into Autumn! I would definitely suggest giving it a go though - it's a really warm and comforting dish, to be eaten with just a fork and perhaps even out of a bowl? :)

      Delete