Tuesday 29 September 2015

Preparing for Winter

Gill, over in Frugal in Derbyshire mentioned that she had once done a post on what she does to prepare for Winter. With the weather having been as lovely as it has so far this week, I too have been thinking about getting everything ready for the colder months. Here's what I am doing in suburban Surrey ......

HOUSE:-
Cleaning all the rooms thoroughly. I know this is normally a spring job, but I also tend to do it with C$¥~%^|mas in mind.
Washing all the bedding and preparing to change over to winter bedding. I do like to be snugglily in bed :)
Washing the throws for the settee to make sure they are extra cosy.
Packing away all my summer clothes and airing my warmer ones (I don't have space for both!)
Taking any unwanted items (I often find clothes I haven't worn when I change over) to the charity shop
Tackling all those little DIY jobs that have been lurking undone for months
Trying out the heating BEFORE we need it, just in case!
Clearing the gutters
Cleaning the windows and surrounds
Cleaning off the conservatory roof



GARDEN:-
Harvesting the remaining veg and fruit from the garden and freezing it, making jam, chutneys or making alcohol.
Foraging for free food like sloes and elderberries to make interesting drinks and sauces.
Pruning and cutting back all of the bushes, climbers and trees.
Weeding and regular leave clearance of leaves in the beds.
Regularly mowing the lawn until about November.
Turning the compost heap and covering the empty veg beds with a good layer of home made compost
Checking the coop and run for weather tightness

GENERAL:-
Checking stocks of tinned/dried food, toiletries and medicines and restocking where necessary.
On the rare occasion I am in a supermarket, I may start to buy the odd special item towards the holiday season and hide it in a cupboard although you have to be careful doing that in case you end up with silly amounts of 'treat' food, which is ALWAYS regrettable!
Checking my stocks of C#%{^*mas cards, wrapping paper etc so I can start buying if I need more (I generally buy in the sales, but it doesn't always work!)
Starting to build up a good pile of home made gifts - jams, chutneys, alcohols already. Later truffles, nut brittle, cookies.
I also have lots of craft gift ideas, which I will start to make from October onwards.
I will ask Mr D to do a winter road check on all the cars to check tyre pressure, oil levels, windscreen wash and radiator fluid. Most modern cars probably have sealed units, but my dear old car is a T reg!!

No doubt you all have routines set up to prepare for winter. I imagine some of you are lucky enough to have wood burners so will be gathering wood. No such luck here, but in my next house .......:)

22 comments:

  1. Wood in, oil filled, chutney made. Just mincemeat to do! I think still, in our heads, we prepare for the odd chance of being snowed in or cut off etc. One of these years we will be proven correct!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made my own mincemeat - may have to look at a recipe. We all love mince pies!

      Delete
  2. Yep, similar things going on here too .... and yes, getting wood supplies in the the wood burner .... your day will come :-)

    It's a busy time of year :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy, but satisfying and made so much easier by this wonderful weather!

      Delete
  3. Once the fencing and path is finished we will start on the front garden. I have a week off in October and hubby has a few days left Hopefully we will have some dry weather. The it will be a mass clean up as there is dirt and dust everywhere. I'm quite organised for Christmas and I have a few more Christmas gifts to prepare this weekend because I' waiting to be paid. Tomorrow yipee!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long month waiting for salaries to go in!! Your garden is looking great though despite the ensuing dirt. Just imagine how great it will be come next Spring!

      Delete
  4. Good planning and if it will finally cool down here I plan on getting started too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! We don't have the problem with it not being cool enough. The sun is shining, but it's a perfect temperature - warm enough but not too warm.

      Delete
  5. Don't mention winter! We've only just got our summer up here in Scotland - it's hot and sunny today; better late than never! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scotland is such a beautiful country but I'm not sure I could cope with the lack of warmth and sunshine! Enjoy yours while it lasts :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, I feel wholly inadequate now. I really should pull my finger out and get something done. I need to get my domestic goddess hat out. I'm very impressed. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to keep busy to stop myself getting maudlin !!

      Delete
  7. I have been snowed in, more than once, and like to get my stocks of winter food in. Plus candles, matches and torches and a gas camping stove with a few gas bottles, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had one Christmas Day which started with a power cut - candles and a gas cooker saved the day!! We didn't even have any snow - just a flood :(

      Delete
  8. Been checking off our lists here, I am making our seasonal treats this year so I need to compile a shopping list :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should probably make more of our seasonal treats especially with the gluten free/ vegan aspect! I'll see if I have any energy left after making all my edible Christmas presents ....

      Delete
  9. I'm with you, Jules! I haven't even thought about winter yet though I know it's coming. It gets really cold and snowy where I live and I hate driving in the stuff so won't be going out much. I should make a list...~sigh~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, perversely, it is the sunshine that makes me start planning! :) making the list will be fun at least?

      Delete
  10. There is something very reassuring about getting ready for winter and a feeling of security when it is done. Pam in Norway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like batonning down the hatches or siege mentality, although our weather is generally very mild. We're more likely to have a grey wet period than ever being snowed in.

      Delete