Saturday 26 September 2015

Welcome

Thank you for all the fantastic feedback yesterday. It's pleasing to think that my post evoked so many lovely memories for many of you and how great that so many of us have known wonderful people like my aunt in our lives. She really is an inspiration, but would be amazed that so many people would consider her to be! I enjoyed reading about your own inspirational people :)

About two and a half years ago, we spent a lovely week in Staithes, North Yorkshire. I have blogged about it before because I was very impressed with the little seaside town of Staithes. The rental cottage we stayed in was very pretty, small, but cosy and full of all sorts of quirky home made items. Outside the front door was a large pebble, painted and with the word 'Welcome' on it. I was rather taken with this idea, but it's taken me all this time to actually get round to completing it!

My 'pebble' has gone from this .....


To this .....



Fortunately, I have collected lots of blue paints - lots from friends and lots from various projects around the house, so I decided to go for a beach themed colour scheme. I painted it all over with a base coat, then added waves of tonal colours to the front. Once this was all dry, I added the welcome and some other minor decoration. Finally I gave the whole stone a good coating of clear spray lacquer to protect it from the elements. It's in my porch area, so won't get the worst of the weather, but with it being emulsion, it wouldn't last long without some added protection. I may give it another coat later. 

I've also made 8 jars of loganberry jam this morning. To help it set, I used a tip from Sue from Ournewlifeinthecountry, adding a few quartered apples to impart their natural pectin. I then scooped them out at the end with a slotted spoon and, once cooled, gave them to the chickens. They were beyond delighted! I guess it's almost like a raspberry tonic, which is often suggested to help give chickens a boost to their immune system. Either way, they loved their sticky treat!! 

10 comments:

  1. That is such a lovely idea. I'm impressed with your painting. I think if I attempted something like that you would find it on pinterest fails!
    We went to Staithes in the summer and it was just charming. I can't remember the name of the special cake they make there but it was delicious. Did you try any? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember a special cake - I can't believe that passed me by!! We'll just have to go again to check it out. Close up, you would see that the painting isn't that good, but that's why I did wavy lines!!

      Delete
  2. Great idea and beautifully painted. Have you sealed it in any way to stop the damp ruining the paint? It's a lovely welcome to any house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sprayed it all over with a clear shellac varnish - hopefully that will do the trick! If not, there's plenty more paint in my shed!

      Delete
  3. We used to paint pebbles when on holiday with the children. You've set me off now... I have some large pebbles in the garden somewhere..off to find them.
    Your sign is really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it was good fun. I like a project that doesn't need to be extra neat!!

      Delete
  4. A lovely idea. Ages since we did stone painting when the children were small. I've never been to Staithes, must add it to my list of places to visit if we get a gap year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would certainly recommend a trip to Staithes - a truly charming place in the most amazing countryside of North Yorkshire.

      Delete
  5. I love your pebble, clever you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I could imagine some in your quirky garden?!

      Delete