Monday 7 September 2015

Home alone

For the first time in weeks, I have the house to myself today. The two youngest are off at school, daughter number two is working this week at my husbands school to earn some extra pennies before going off to America and of course Mr D is working. We dropped our eldest daughter off at Uni on Saturday. It feels very weird because she's already done a degree and then been at home, working all of last year, but she is getting the opportunity to do what she has always wanted to do, so it's also very exciting. She's house sharing with four others in a rather nice old Victorian end of terrace with original tile flooring in the hall, wall tiles and stained glass in the porch, high ceilings and wooden sash windows. It has the potential to be a lovely house, but has a slightly sad, unloved edge presently. I hope that once all the house mates are there and settled in, it will feel more homely for her.

So how did I start my day alone? With a yummy breakfast of eggs from my ladies and a small handful of cherry tomatoes from the rather dejected tomato plants. Not home made bread yet unfortunately. I realised after I took the photo that it looks as if I'm drinking a large whisky with my breakfast - it's apple juice! I don't tend to buy juice, but some has appeared (!!), so I had a small glass. Every time I drink juice I have all those health warnings blaring out in my head about sugar rush etc etc, but as it's probably only the second glass of juice I've had all year, I don't imagine it will have too much of an effect!!



My ladies are laying five eggs a day again. I think (fingers and toes crossed) that we are getting on top of the red mites now, so they are feeling better. Hopefully the colder weather will help us keep any infestation at bay for a while. I had another double yoker again yesterday - such a treat :)

The rest of my day will be spent cleaning and tidying the house. I will have MY choice of music on and I will hopefully be able to get on, unimpeded by questions, requests or simply bodies in the way!!
I love my own company actually. Funnily enough, I sometimes feel lonelier with people than when I'm on my own. Does that make sense?

Right, I had better get on. Yummy breakfast taken on board, classical music on (rather too loudly), pinny doned and off I go .......

5 comments:

  1. I too have the house to myself for the first time since about May. Our youngest graduated and had planned to go on to do her Master's (which we had sorted funds out for via the lovely bank!!) but she had a change of heart and today has started her teacher training/PGCE to be a secondary school English teacher. This time she's travelling to University and her school placement so we won't have the enormous living costs to subsidise. So today it's very quiet here - and I LOVE IT!!!! (Mrs LH - I don't know why my bloglovin is not working today!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the peace and quiet too even though I turned music on, but it was classical. Good Luck to your daughter with her PGCE. That's the route I took into teaching. It's always a good qualification to have. It sure is expensive for them to go to Uni!

      Delete
  2. Do know what you mean, about sometimes feeling more lonely in a crowd than in one's own company. I never used to like my own company, now, with a difficult health situation keeping me mostly round home, I have learned to love my own company for a few hours a day. Had to smile at your apple juice, it does look like a double whiskey doesn't it ;). Pam in Norway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I had little to no interaction in a week, I would feel desperate, but fortunately I have friends nearby and of course, come half 3 the troops all start to pile home from school/work, so I don't have long on my own. I do find myself conversing with dogs, cats and even chickens though, which could be a sign of declining mental capacity???? I promise I don't drink whiskey for breakfast!

      Delete
  3. I love to clean when I have the house to myself.things tend to get worse before they get better. Things get messier then tidier!!! Hubby does not understand this policy and moans :0)

    ReplyDelete