Tuesday 13 January 2015

A decadent day


It's often the small things that bring you the most joy. I glimpsed the first camellia this week. It's always such a relief to see the garden start coming to life again. Mr D and I did some work in the garden this weekend, helped by our intrepid feathered friends scratching around in the fallen leaves searching for bugs and worms! There's a lot more needs to be done in the garden, but there's no hurry. For now, I will content myself with the odd hour or two spent outside and many hours spent curled up inside planning what and where to grow next year!

Today, I feel as if I have had a decadent day. Having completed my normal morning tasks of sweeping, a little tidying and sorting and a load of washing (The home made laundry liquid is doing well so far by the way!), I decided to allow myself the unadulterated pleasure of curling up on the settee with a rug over me and reading. I love reading, but don't often allow myself the time unless I am on holiday. What a treat then to spend hour upon hour cosy and warm with a good book! I have been invited to join a book club, but the next meeting is on today, so instead of having a month to read the book, I went to the library on Monday and read it today - 'The Shell Seekers' by Rosamunde Pilcher. I have read it before many years ago, but hadn't remembered much. I had thought the plot might come back to me, but unfortunately it didn't. I enjoyed it though and found it an interesting reflection on being a woman and moreover a mother. I'm glad I read it again and now I can really look forward to Friday evening, having something to add.

I'm now going to make up for being an 'absent mother' by baking some chocolate and macadamia brownies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment