Thursday 15 January 2015

Some days are harder than others!

I may have already mentioned how much I struggle with January and February. This year is no different. There are difficult times ahead in my family unit and they are just hotting up unfortunately, so it will be an interesting test of my newfound calm and positive mental attitude!
I know that most people see January as the start of a fresh year with lots of new adventures ahead and I am trying REALLY hard to come round to this way of thinking, but I have to be honest - it's an effort!
I guess having been involved in education all of my life, either in it as a student, working in it as a teacher, being married to a teacher or having children in school, the more natural start to my year is September. That's when I start my calendar (we have an academic calendar) copying in all the key events and birthdays and thinking about the year ahead. September is a lovely month - gentle, soft and warm; beautiful colours and the promise of wonderful foods such as squash, apples, pears and winter root veg. January and February however have little appeal - cold, grey, wet months to be got through before Spring arrives!

Still, I am trying very hard to stay positive. I found a lovely little mantra on the internet yesterday which I may print out and pop in a frame somewhere to help remind me!

A manifesto for a simple life

Eat less, move more
Buy less, make more
Stress less, laugh more
Feel blessed, love more
Find a quiet spot every day and ......
breathe

I'm not sure where it came from, but I really appreciated the simplicity of its message! I will continue to adhere to my new principles in the faith that March will soon be here bringing with it a more positive outlook. Do you have a time of year that you find more difficult than any other? Or indeed a favourite time of year? 

Another reason why I should be very happy indeed .......x 


4 comments:

  1. I find these winter months very depressing,I love the mantra, I think we should all follow it.
    You have a lovely family, and look very happy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - happy times there a couple of summers ago! I am definitely a warmth and sun person though. I'm aiming to keep myself busy making things so I won't even notice until it's spring time. It will also give me some nice things to blog about. Making soap at the moment......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been blog hopping and I found your blog today so I just wanted to say, hi. When I was reading this post, I could definitely relate. I do look forward to a new year and I feel blessed that I'm still around to celebrate it, but it's the winter weather that brings me down. I don't like being cold and ever since I was involved in a car accident last year during a snow storm, I go through changes when I have to leave the house in bad weather.

    I did enjoy the mantra and I love the picture of your family at the end... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for popping by and posting on my blog. As you can see, I'm quite new to blogging so it's always exciting to get someone new reading it! I see you have the vegan challenge going in in your house too! I don't miss meat much I have to say, but the men in the house do!! I'll happily share any recipes you might like. Sorry to hear about the car accident last year. It seems to me lots of bad things happen in the winter months!

    ReplyDelete