Thursday 20 November 2014

Cleaning

I love to have a clean and tidy house. I have always been the same and in fact I have bordered on the obsessive! When my children were little, I had to give myself a stern talking to because I was always tempted to tidy up as they played. The poor souls had barely finished a puzzle before I was counting the pieces back into their box! The bottom line is that I only truly feel relaxed when my house is all in order although I have taught myself to be less pernickety over the years, finding that 'good enough' is fine for me now.
I find it cathartic to clean. Most days will have some form of cleaning or tidying involved in them. I think that if I were to be able to maintain a constant standard I'd never feel stressed...however, with four children and assorted animals, that's a pipe dream most of the time, so I'll have to suffice with ticking along and the odd deep clean when needed.
I have to wonder though if that slightly old fashioned sense of being 'house proud' has become unfashionable? With the rise of programmes such as The Hoarder Nextdoor and How Clean is Your House, I sense there are significant numbers of people out there who either don't have the time, skills or inclination to keep a tidy home. Each to their own of course, but there's only one way of doing it for me!

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I think we are twins separated at birth! My poor children get it in the neck if they don't even put the TV remote control in the right place and if it's not quite at the right angle I can't resist moving it! Over the years I have tried to "relax" a bit but like you say I only feel truly relaxed when all is in order!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad it's not just me! I have been known to straighten other peoples pictures when they're not looking, although I was mortified once when it came off the wall in my hands!! I couldn't exactly hide my ridiculous behaviour then.

    ReplyDelete