Saturday 15 November 2014

The meaning of home

What does 'home' mean to you? I think I've always been a home bird. My Mum used to say, I could make a home out of a cardboard box!

For me, home means a place of sanctuary, a place to relax and be whoever I want to be, but most importantly it is a place for me to nurture. Home is where I care for my family and friends, but also where I nurture my own spirit.

I look after my home not because it's the biggest investment I'll ever make in my life,  but because it is my favourite place to be. I love to keep it clean and well presented because my surroundings are important to me. Every room contains memories of the life this home has had - they comfort me and make me feel whole.

It's unimportant where my home ends up being because once I shut the door, I can retreat into the cocoon that is home. Good job really because living in a suburban street with houses all around me isn't my idea of an ideal location! Our little house has grown and developed to meet the needs of our growing family. We love to entertain here - even the dining room table has grown to meet our friends growing families!
This house has supported a 22 year marriage, four children, a dog, a rabbit, 2 guinea pigs, 3 cats and 2 chickens, plus of course a myriad of friends and family members along the way. I consider that quite an achievement!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. My home is not perfect but filled with memories of family life. They may have all left home now but I now have a lovely grandson to add to it.

    ReplyDelete