Monday 10 November 2014

Simple Christmas gift ideas

I love being creative and now that I have the time to make things, I have loved sitting in my little, light-filled conservatory putting together some small projects to give as gifts this Christmas. To start with I made small wire and button hanging decorations.

They were so incredibly easy. I used a reasonably fine craft wire and bought buttons. Obviously if you have a lot of spare buttons - feel free to use them! I bought my buttons in the sale at Hobbycraft, but Amazon also sell them by the bag very reasonably.  It's very simple to thread the wire through the button holes ensuring you pull it taught between each button. Once you have all your buttons on there, it can be bent to any shape you like, the wire ends can be bent to form a hanging loop and a small bit of ribbon, finishes it off nicely. I'm going to try to make snowflake shapes with white buttons too.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds quite straight forward and they look so good, might try this with the craft group at school, thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so I have been inspired and bought my buttons and wire but I have a problem that you might be able to help with?! My trip to Hobbycraft was a bit daunting and I didn't have my daughter to help me! I didn't expect there to be such an array of craft wire to choose from! I found a very helpful Assistant and explained what I wanted to do, she said memory wire would be best so it would keep it's shape, which made sense. I have just tried to have a go now but the wire is too thick/stiff to thread in and out of the button holes! The one she sold me is M-MW 55/4 if that means anything? Please would you be able to advise me as to the best wire to get? Hoping you can help, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think mine was 0.5mm and came from Hobbycraft. It is stiff to push through and you have to do one button hole at a time,pulling very taught between each button, but the wire is soft enough to bend, but thick enough to hold it's shape. Unfortunately I don't have the label anymore to be more precise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, I will pop back in there on Saturday and have another look, am definitely going to give it a go, will keep you posted!!

    ReplyDelete