Wednesday 11 February 2015

DIY chez moi

After the recent hall, stairs and landing redecoration, we needed to put our family photo wall back up. I decided to put them a little higher up the wall this time, to make way for some more frames lower down. However, I soon realised that there was a flaw in my plan ..... I couldn't reach to put the top ones back. I did try, but when I nearly fell down the stairs and I was alone at home, I could envisage how cross Mr D would be at my stupidity, so I waited until he got home.
Even then, it wasn't easy! I'm sure this method would break pretty much every health and safety rule in the book, but we a) got the pictures back up and b) caused some hilarity amongst our offspring!!
Probably as case of "Don't try this at home!" ...




There are photos of seven generations of my family on this wall! I love the old formal photos so much. I've been fortunate enough to be able to trace the family history back nine generations (from my children) on my father's side, but still need to put it all together in a properly presentable format. My grandmother was one of 14 children, some of whom died very young and she was just shy of 104 when she passed away eighteen years ago. Her daughter (my aunt) is still alive and kicking at 91 and has lived in the same Victorian terrace house since she was 9 years old! We all love going to visit her - best tea ever, made with proper leaves and served in China cups. You can't beat her tea and cakes of an afternoon x 

6 comments:

  1. This did make me giggle, can I borrow him? I have to paint our stairs and have yet to work out how I'm going to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure you'd really want him, armed and dangerous with a paintbrush!! When we painted that tall wall, we propped a long ladder against a stair tread and then popped ski socks/wellie socks on the other two ends (which I guess would be the 'feet' of the ladder) and gently propped that end against the bulk head above the stairs. It then gave us a platform to balance on to reach the top corner of that wall. It's not easy I know, but it worked well both times I've done it! I wouldn't suggest doing it unless someone else was in the house though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photo wall looks great! Must get some frames for all our photos - all stuffed in a plastic treasure chest never to be seen again unless we frame some. Got a few in frames from a few special occasions but I love the look of yours. Elf and safety would have a field day at yours tho!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I have been known to hammer the nails in with a stiletto heel too and I'm am dreadful for using a table knife as a screwdriver! I am getting better and now have a small tool drawer in the dresser so I have no excuse for using shoes and eating utensils!! Most of my frames came from IKEA, but I am going to spray paint any old frames we have to use in future rather than buying new. Charity shops always have loads of frames which can be painted to give a uniform look or just left as eclectic????

      Delete
  4. Gosh he was very brave, I hope you don't need to move them again x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time we move them, we'll be moving house so I can just lift them off the wall. I had a good hold of him, although I did point out that if he slipped, I probably would have toppled over the bannister and fallen on top of him in a heap!

      Delete