Wednesday 4 February 2015

Mocha cookies

As it was cold and snowy outside yesterday, I baked some cookies. This week, I have tried the Mocha Cookies from my gluten free, vegan baking book.


I made double the recipe quantity, making 28 cookies in total. We have hungry people in the house at all times!!

115g GF plain flour
1/4tsp GF baking powder
15g cocoa powder
125g soft brown sugar
1 tbsp espresso powder
125g vegan margarine
50g GF porridge oats

  • Preheat oven to 180c and line two baking sheets with parchment.
  • Sift together flour, baking powder, cocoa powder together in a large bowl. 
  • Add sugar and combine well.
  • Dissolve the espresso powder in 1 tbsp hot water and add to dry ingredients.
  • Add the margarine and oats and mix thoroughly to form a soft dough (I used my hands, but a wooden spoon would do too).
  • Form the mixture into 14 balls, place on the prepared baking sheet and flatten slightly with a fork. Leave space in between each cookie as they expand.
  • Bake in a preheated oven for 15mins. Leave to cool on the baking sheet for a little while, then once firm enough to handle, transfer to a tray to cool completely
  • Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.......who am I kidding!!!

Obviously, if you are not needing to avoid gluten or animal products, just use normal flour etc in the above recipe! They taste more of coffee than chocolate, but they are crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle. Yummy with a cuppa! 

Just thought I'd add one more photo of my silly ladies from yesterday!! They do make me laugh so much. My windows are always filthy either from the cats or the chickens!! I think they fancied a mocha cookie .......



4 comments:

  1. I had so much left from Christmas (even though we went to France on holiday) I haven't baked for ages, time to get back in the kitchen I think, any sort of cookies in this house seem to get eaten quickly, yours look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - they were very quick and easy to prepare which is always a bonus when baking! I've done years worth of fiddly birthday cakes and now my baking is very much more 'rustic'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious. I have some dairy free marg to use up so will give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how they go. They have been very popular in my house, but you do need to like coffee flavour!

      Delete