Friday 27 February 2015

Yummy vegan chilli

I made this initially out of necessity due to a distinct lack of funds at the end of the month! But what started as a budget meal turned out to be a very tasty, let's-have-it-again family meal.


2 onions chopped
A splash of Oil
1 clove of garlic, diced
Half a red pepper, diced
Half a green pepper, diced
Half a yellow pepper, diced
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp oregano (dried)
1 tsp ground cumin
1tsp cinnamon
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tin black beans, rinsed
1 tin lentils, rinsed
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce

Fry onion in oil until softened, add garlic and peppers. Fry for another minute or so, then add all the spices. Fry for another minute. Add tinned items, puree and sweet chilli sauce and approx a can of water (I rinse out the tinned tomatoes from the kettle and use this tomatoey water.) simmer on the hob until thickened - about 20 minutes. You can finish with some chopped coriander if you have any, but I didn't!

I made enough for six, but one daughter was out so we have leftovers! 

I served this with potato wedges (I'd run out of rice too by this point!!)


Mine was quite spicy so you can lessen the quantities of chilli if you like it milder!
Obviously I had all these ingredients in my store cupboard, so apart from buying the peppers at £1, I didn't spend anything else on it. I imagine you could add chopped carrots and/or celery, courgettes? I'm not known for sticking to recipes, so I tend to experiment!
Either way, it was very tasty, very low in fat, vegan, gluten free AND cheap as chips, to coin a phrase!

2 comments:

  1. This is our end-of-the-money meal. We tend to have carrots and celery hanging around so I dice them finely and use them as a base. On the rare occasion there's no fresh veg at all it's still a great storecupboard meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, I am going to make this, I have a good store cupboard and only need to buy the peppers.

    ReplyDelete