Friday 13 February 2015

Peanut butter and granola bars

Another recipe from my Vegan and Gluten free Baking book at a request from Mother Noah. These are truly delicious, but beware.....they are very moreish!


Vegan and GF margarine for greasing
100g crunchy peanut butter
30g brown sugar (I used soft brown)
2 tbsp golden syrup
450g GF granola (i only had 415g as I was using up what I had - it was fine!)


  • Preheat oven to 189c.
  • Grease an 18 by 25cm shallow baking tin and line with parchment allowing it to overlap at the sides to enable lifting the bars out later.
  • Cream the peanut butter, sugar and golden syrup together in a large bowl. I used a wooden spoon, but you could use a mixer I guess.
  • Stir in the granola and mix very well to coat the granola - this is quite hard work!!
  • Press the mixture firmly and evenly into the tin.
  • Bake in the oven for about 25 mins until golden brown.
  • Lift it out in the parchment and allow to cool on a wire rack.
  • Cut into bars. The recipe said 12, but I made 16. 


TIP- I gathered the crumbs that had collected when I cut the bars and sprinkled them on a vanilla soy yoghurt as my pudding - delicious! Apparently they were also yummy stirred into GF porridge made with soy milk. I suspect they'd be good added to a crumble topping or mixed into apple puree........you could even top the bars with vegan GF chocolate? Sorry! I'm getting carried away...ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. OMG!!! These sound gorgeous. Am going to have a go later when I've been out shopping. Shame there will be just the 2 of us at home this weekend - I hope we don't eat them all before youngest comes home next week!!! Middle child (??Child or now Man) is 25 on Tues so may have (grudgingly!!!) to pack him some up and take over for his b/day. I might even add the chocolate topping to his lot. Thanks for the recipe and picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do add chocolate, please let me know how it goes. They really were yummy! I guess they might freeze, although they keep very well in a tin anyway, if you can stop yourselves eating them!

      Delete