Tuesday 10 February 2015

Getting to grips with veganism

As I mentioned, I'm giving Jamie Oliver a try this week. So far, so good - he hasn't disappointed!
Last night's meal was vegan mac 'n' cheese (obviously gluten free too).


Quite simple and straightforward to make, so I was feeling perfectly confident as I brought it out of the oven and carried it across to the table. Then Daughter number one says "That's brave! Macaroni cheese is the holy grail of vegan cooking - it's the one thing all vegans seek to conquer!" Hecky thump! My confidence started to wain away pretty quickly....
However, apart from the fact that next time I'd have more sauce, it was a great success with everyone going in for seconds and daughters 2 and 3 even going for a third helping! VERY unusually for me, I added some ketchup - not normally my style at all, but it went very well with it. I also served it with a large mixed green salad.


It was also the first outing for my new lasagne dish - £10 from Tesco. My previous one had developed an alarming crack and despite trying several thrift shops, I couldn't find a second hand one big enough for the six of us.


My vegan, gluten free bake this week - peanut butter granola bars. OMG - these are dangerously moreish!! I had the crumbs left over from cutting them into bars, mixed in some yoghurt - delicious!! Obviously you need to like peanut butter (which two of mine don't) but for those of us who are fans, these couldn't get much better!! Will definitely make these again.


5 comments:

  1. Would love the recipe for the vegan mac 'n' cheese, looks yummy! I really love the food you cook :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/vegan-mac-n-cheese/

      Not sure if that will direct you straight there as I've never added a link before, but no doubt you can cut and paste anyway. It was good - not too 'cheesy'! I had a tiny amount of vegan cheese left so I added it, but wouldn't have bothered otherwise. The key trick is the yeast, which I also add to risotto instead of cheese. It takes a while to get used to the smell, but if definitely imparts a cheesy savoury taste. It's also quite nice mixed in with GF breadcrumbs as a topping to gratin dishes or vegetable crumbles. Fortunately for my daughter, I enjoy cooking!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I will check it out :)

      Delete
  2. Can you post the recipe for the bars please . They look really good .

    ReplyDelete