Thursday 19 February 2015

Howarth, Brontë country.

Sorry for the lack of blog yesterday. I was up visiting Mr D's family. We had a lovely time. The sun shone on us and as ever, there was a very generous quantity of food, drink and excellent company.

Yesterday, we went up over the moors from Lancashire into Yorkshire. With the sun blessing the moorland, it was just breathtaking! I saw quite a number of run down, stone barns, just ripe for development!! I am sorely tempted, but then I have to remember the harshness of the winters and it reigns me in a bit!

We ended up in Howarth, home to the Brontë family. I add the photographs, courtesy of my husbands cousin, who a) has a super duper camera and b) takes much better photos than me!!

The cobbled street leading up to the church and parsonage.

A fascinating shop selling old fashioned bath salts and soaps and 1940s style ladies fashion!

The parsonage where the Brontë family lived



The church where the Brontë sisters' father was parson.

The view over the moors that inspired the sisters' writing

You can almost imagine Heathcliffe coming across the hill on horseback.......

Howarth was beautiful and well worth a visit if you haven't already had the pleasure. We also stopped off briefly in Hebden Bridge on the way back - lots and lots of eateries and quirky shops and a very nice little craft centre. We always love going up to visit, not just for the excellent welcome we receive, but also for the wonderful scenery and the sheer enormity of sky!! Suburban Surrey doesn't afford such panoramic views!!  One day I will have my view .........

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting my photographs. You and Mr D were great company and we are so pleased you like our industrial and rugged North x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exhausted! I've just had to have one of your famous naps, except I actually did sleep!

      Delete
  2. Looks beautiful, must get 'up North' sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More rugged than Cornwall and probably a few degrees colder most of the time! BUT so beautiful with it ...

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your photos, looks amazing, the sort of day out I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take the credit for the photos, as you can see from the comment above! They capture the look and feel of the place though!

      Delete
  4. Looks lovely. Never been but it's actually not that far from us (we're in Nottinghamshire in the East Midlands). We go to North Yorkshire quite often as we love Whitby and the surrounding areas. Must put this destination on my list of places to visit. Funny isn't it that we never get to some beautiful places which are virtually on our door step!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to Whitby last Easter and stayed in Staithes. Amazing place! There are some stunning places in the UK. I'd recommend West Yorkshire too mind!

      Delete